Saturday, May 15, 2010

Covet: netbook

I've decided to get a new laptop/netbook in the next couple weeks. My current machine, a Dell Inspiron 600m, is about to celebrate its 10th birthday. When I got it, wifi was a big deal. It's held up remarkably well, especially once I switched to ubuntu. But when your system can't handle pandora and google docs at the same time, it's time to move on.

Anyway, I mostly use my laptop for checking email, writing, reading .pdfs, and programming. I'll need linux, and might like to have windows as well -- mainly to be able to read and edit .doc and .docx files. I'll need to do some serious computational processing, but I can almost always log into a remote cluster for the heavy lifting. Portability and battery life are very important.

So I'm thinking a netbook. Anyone have recommendations? Horror stories?

PS: If Moore's law holds, then the processing power of my laptop is about 1% of a laptop today. (See picture.)

No comments: