Monday, August 8, 2011

The world's fastest demo for RStudio in EC2

Last week I posted instructions to get started with RStudio on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud. Here are new and improved* instructions (docx, pdf). These steps should be enough to get you into the cloud in 15 minutes or less, for free.

Please let me know in the comments if you have any trouble or questions with this demo. I'm trying to lower the startup costs for people to do computational social science, so I'm happy to be a resource for others working their way down the cloud computing path.

Cheers!

PS - The instance comes with several fun R libraries pre-installed: tm, igraph, and twitteR.

*I've 1) dropped several steps that aren't necessary for running RStudio, 2) added a few screenshots, and 3) clarified a steps that were giving people trouble. Thanks again to Kevin J. for putting together the original slides.

No comments: